Sunday, September 5, 2010

Graphic Designs I didn't like

I came across this advertisement while in Edmonton, Canada this weekend. As I was driving, I was really struck by the message. I was so struck by it that I decided to incorporate it into my blog. The design is simple, and straight to the point. Yet it's boring and I don't understand what message it is trying to convey. Is it a divorce firm? or is it a place to get help for divorcing? If you wanted to know, it's actually a place to get counseling, which I looked up (maybe that was the point of the advertisement?).

While I like that the message is simple, it doesn't seem so flow, especially with both the typeface and color scheme. For instance "Divorce the" is all in caps and bolded in an orange-red color while the word "Fair" is bolded, lower cased and in black. The word "way" just exists as if it were styled in times new roman.

The main reason I don't like this graphic is because I think the flow of the two fonts doesn't go well against the white background. I feel a better typeface could of spruced up the message.
_______________________________________________________________

I found this design in my newspaper. Even though I think the advertisements for Cliff's Hi-Tech body shop are funny (they have three other ones like this), I think the display is a little scattered. First of all it's to busy. I spot three different typefaces and I'm not even halfway through the graphic. I think things need to get switched around and simplified to better enchance the picture. I think the photo needs to be the main focus. With so much type around it, it becomes more of a background shot then the thing I'm suppose to be engaged with.

2 comments:

  1. I doubt the ability of a body shop to fix a ruin like the one in that picture. To me the design will have credibility problem because its claim seems to be spurious. The typefaces used in the design are nearly the same sizes; this makes them almost lacking contrast. I think the concept of the design is well conceived but badly produced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the size of the typeface, there needs to be more contrast in the picture.

    ReplyDelete