Monday, September 6, 2010

My idea of Good design


While on the plane back to Baltimore, I came across this design and thought it was a great piece. The reason I think it's a good design is because it's simple, colorful, and made me gaze at it a second time.
From the few design classes I've taken, I was taught that simplicity is an important factor. While this thought has never left me, it's something I keep in mind every time I look at graphics. There isn't a lot of type to this cover, but I instantly get an idea of what the cover story is about just from looking at the waffle.

In addition, I love how the waffle flows with the color of the type. I think the light blue background makes it pop and the shadow of the paint brush adds just a little bit of depth.
_________________________________________

Another design I liked was this Chipotle advertisement. I guess the main reason I liked it was it was different. I was pulled in by the fact they are conveying two messages: 1. the burritos are good and 2. information about where the ingredients come from.

I could debate about the wording, but I like that certain words are bolded while the others are in a light gray. I like the the typeface was simple and in the same font. While there is a lot of text to this display, I was taken by how the important point was highlighted in another color. In all, I got the complete message the design was trying to convey.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- love this photo. I always had this weird way of inserting syrup only into the waffle squares and this takes me back. Good pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those Chipotle ads around Baltimore and they're clever. I agree with your take on the typeface, it is simple but there is a boldness to it that lets it stand out without being overwhelming.

    That Air Canada magazine cover has such a wonderful combination of colors and textures. Living in Buffalo, I was exposed to a lot of commercial art from Toronto (where I think Air Canada's HQ's and marketing work is done) and I guess it doesn't surprise me that such contemporary and enjoyable artwork would be coming from a Toronto office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work for the Buffalo News, good times in Buffalo!

    ReplyDelete